I administrate a weekly pub quiz for some friends in the Philippines. This has been going on for some time. I design the pub quizzes myself.
More than once, I have been encouraged to make these quizzes available online. There is an appetite, I am told, for online quiz materials. More than that, there is an appetite for interesting quizzes (my participants are mostly teachers, and competitive quizzers), which are not so run-of-the-mill.
I hope this quiz archive can act as something of a trove, for any would-be quiz masters without the time and/or wherewithal to put together their own.
Pub quiz format
Regularity is king. When designing lessons, structure is important. So, too, when putting together a pub quiz. My quizzes comprise the following sections:
- 3 question rounds, each of 10 questions
- 1 set of anagrams – usually 8 or 10 – on a particular theme
- 1 riddle round – somewhere between 6 and 10 ‘riddles’ – again, on a theme
- 1 image round, where contestants have to either connect images, identify the people/places/objects within them, or etc.
- 1 bonus question, to be deployed as necessary.
The quiz runs in the following way:
- At the beginning, I provide ANAGRAMS and RIDDLES for quiz teams to complete in their own time. This is a handy way to occupy them while I do necessary admin.
- During, or between, question rounds, quiz teams are free to work on ANAGRAMS and RIDDLES, so as not to get bored. Members who feel disempowered on a particular round can occupy themselves with one of these.
- After FIRST ROUND of questions, I provide the IMAGES. Like the previous two visual rounds, these can be completed at the participants’ leisure.
- After EACH ROUND of questions, I mark them all, read out the answers, and reveal the scores so far.
- After ALL ROUNDS of questions, I mark the ANAGRAMS, RIDDLES and IMAGES.
- If two teams are tied, or if the team that usually wins is winning, I like to have a BONUS QUESTION up my sleeve, to give another team a chance.
Below are all the quiz materials I have produced so far. I will continue to add to this trove, as long as I make quizzes. Please enjoy!